19 November 2005

Writing is Craft

So this past week I saw "Good Night and Good Luck" with some coworkers. Without giving anything away, or pushing some overly-erudite review on you, suffice it to say I liked it a lot. I like the direction, especially the tight proximity, and the writing was very sharp and authentic.

That's the thing I like about writing; the chance to paint a picture for someone. As I write this, Fox Soccer Channel is showing me Borussia Dortmund v. Hertha Berlin; so I have to get my EPL updates from the BBC's website. It's not video, but the capsulizations of the goals are little gems of wording:
GOAL Liverpool 1-0 Portsmouth Bolo Zenden puts Liverpool ahead in remarkable circumstances. The Dutch winger wins a soft penalty after going down easily in the box and who steps up to take it, to gasps from the Kop, but Peter Crouch. The goalless striker sees his tame effort saved by Jamie Ashdown, only for Zenden to head in the rebound, off ex-Reds defender Gregory Vignal.

GOAL Liverpool 2-0 Portsmouth Djibril Cisse doubles the lead at Anfield with another fortuitous goal for the hosts - this time the French hitman's cross from the right drifts over Jamie Ashdown and into the top corner of the net.

GOAL Liverpool 3-0 Portsmouth Fernando Morientes gets a deserved third goal for the dominant Reds with an easy finish from six yards after Peter Crouch had made a nuisance of himself in the area.

By the way, nice to see some goals by those Reds.

No comments: